AdvancED Standards for Quality Schools
Purpose and Direction:
The school maintains and communicates a purpose and direction that commit to high expectations for learning as well as shared values and beliefs about teaching and learning.
- Indicator 1.1
- The school engages in a systematic, inclusive, and comprehensive process to review, revise, and communicate a school purpose for student success.
- Indicator 1.2
- The school leadership and staff commit to a culture that is based on shared values and beliefs about teaching and learning and supports challenging, equitable educational programs and learning experiences for all students that include achievement of learning, thinking, and life skills.
- Indicator 1.3
- The school's leadership implements a continuous improvement process that provides clear direction for improving conditions that support student learning.
Governance and Leadership:
The school operates under governance and leadership that promote and support student performance and school effectiveness.
- Indicator 2.1
- The governing body establishes policies and supports practices that ensure effective administration of the school.
- Indicator 2.2
- The governing body operates responsibly and functions effectively.
- Indicator 2.3
- The governing body ensures that the school leadership has the autonomy to meet goals for achievement and instruction and to manage day-to-day operations effectively.
- Indicator 2.4
- Leadership and staff foster a culture consistent with the school's purpose and direction.
- Indicator 2.5
- Leadership engages stakeholders effectively in support of the school's purpose and direction.
- Indicator 2.6
- Leadership and staff supervision and evaluation processes result in improved professional practice and student success.
Teaching and Assessing for Learning:
The school's curriculum, instructional design, and assessment practices
guide and ensure teacher effectiveness and student learning.
- Indicator 3.1
- The school's curriculum provides equitable and challenging learning experiences that
ensure all students have sufficient opportunities to develop learning, thinking, and life
skills that lead to success at the next level.
- Indicator 3.2
- Curriculum, instruction, and assessment are monitored and adjusted systematically in
response to data from multiple assessments of student learning and an examination of
- Indicator 3.3
- Teachers engage students in their learning through instructional strategies that ensure
achievement of learning expectations.
- Indicator 3.4
- School leaders monitor and support the improvement of instructional practices of
teachers to ensure student success.
- Indicator 3.5
- Teachers participate in collaborative learning communities to improve instruction and
- Indicator 3.6
- Teachers implement the school's instructional process in support of student learning.
- Indicator 3.7
- Mentoring, coaching, and induction programs support instructional improvement
consistent with the school's values and beliefs about teaching and learning.Standard 3: Teaching and Assessing for Learning
- Indicator 3.8
- The school engages families in meaningful ways in their children's education and keeps
them informed of their children's learning progress.
- Indicator 3.9
- The school has a formal structure whereby each student is well known by at least one
adult advocate in the school who supports that student's educational experience.
- Indicator 3.10
- Grading and reporting are based on clearly defined criteria that represent the
attainment of content knowledge and skills and are consistent across grade levels and
- Indicator 3.11
- All staff members participate in a continuous program of professional learning.
- Indicator 3.12
- The school provides and coordinates learning support services to meet the unique
learning needs of students.
Resources and Support Systems:
The school has resources and provides services that support its purpose and direction to ensure success for all students.
- Indicator 4.1
- Qualified professional and support staff are sufficient in number to fulfill their roles and responsibilities necessary to support the school's purpose, direction, and the educational program.
- Indicator 4.2
- Instructional time, material resources, and fiscal resources are sufficient to support the purpose and direction of the school.
- Indicator 4.3
- The school maintains facilities, services, and equipment to provide a safe, clean, and healthy environment for all students and staff.
- Indicator 4.4
- Students and school personnel use a range of media and information resources to support the school's educational programs.
- Indicator 4.5
- The technology infrastructure supports the school's teaching, learning, and operational needs.
- Indicator 4.6
- The school provides support services to meet the physical, social, and emotional needs of the student population being served.
- Indicator 4.7
- The school provides services that support the counseling, assessment, referral, educational, and career planning needs of all students.
Using Results for Continuous Improvement:
The school implements a comprehensive assessment system that generates a range of data about student learning and school effectiveness and uses the results to guide continuous improvement.
- Indicator 5.1
- The school establishes and maintains a clearly defined and comprehensive student assessment system.
- Indicator 5.2
- Professional and support staff continuously collect, analyze, and apply learning from a range of data sources, including comparison and trend data about student learning, instruction, program evaluation, and organizational conditions.
- Indicator 5.3
- Professional and support staff are trained in the evaluation, interpretation, and use of data.
- Indicator 5.4
- The school engages in a continuous process to determine verifiable improvement in student learning, including readiness for and success at the next level.
- Indicator 5.5
- Leadership monitors and communicates comprehensive information about student learning, conditions that support student learning, and the achievement of school improvement goals to stakeholders.